Saturday 28 April 2012

I am what I am

John Newton once said, "I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be in another world. But still I am not what I once used to be, and by the grace of God I am what I am." I have had a busy time (who hasn't? everyone seems to live at 90 miles an hour these days!). I went for a job interview this week and was successful. Within the space of 10 minutes of being told I had the job my emotions spun from elation to fear to determination to doubt to hope to overwhelming confusion to peace! Then I remembered a verse that had sunk into my heart that week Psalm 62 verse 1 'My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I shall never be shaken.' By the grace of God we carry on, by the grace of God we face our fears, by the grace of God we believe our beliefs, by the grace of God we are who we are. Our souls NEED to rest in God and I praise God that He is the rock, the fortress that will not be shaken. When the fortress of Jericho fell it was because God was on the outside. We will not fall because God is on the inside and He is our fortress that will not be shaken - no matter who is walking around the outside shouting and threatening. We are God's children and we can find rest in His arms - are you anxious? fearful? feeling shaken? Then find rest in nothing else except God - get into a place where His presence is as soon as you can. Worship Him so He is enthroned within, pray to Him and notice His attention, read His words and let them sink into your heart as an anchor and a truth that will challenge the lies and the doubts that jabber, fellowship with believers and find those who can connect you again to the one perspective that matters - closer to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment